Skip to main content

Thinking Geographically recap

     The past week and a half we studied a unit in class on thinking geographically.  In this small unit we went over region and place, mental mapping and site and situation. I'm using this blog to recap these topics. A region is broad area of land that has similar characteristics to other parts of itself. A place is a small area inside a region that has consistent characteristics throughout. Mental mapping is used to describe how people classify places based on past experiences. An example of this is that New York is cold in the winter because you vacationed to a state bordering New York during the winter. Finally site is a specific places characteristics. A places situation is what could be some of its characteristics relative to other familiar places. These topics link together to help geographers classify how every place is unique.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rise of Christianity

 Toady in class instead of reviewing the test we read and took notes on the next three sections. The first section was on the Rise of Christianity and talked about how Jesus' teachings spread. The most important reason they spread was because his teachings brought salvation to all. Christianity was a vision that a Roman emperor had before he went into battle. They won the battle and he made it so Christians would no longer be persecuted.

Test review

  Most of today in class was spent reviewing last weeks test from last week. Class was last mod today so everyone was more lethargic than usual. Since I was the only person to get a 100% on the test I really didn't need the review. The only plus side of reviewing was I had time to write the answers on the test so I could use it without my scan tron sheet. The rest of class time was spent taking notes on the population power point. We discussed immigration and emigration and why. We used the example of Canada and why people would want to immigrate there because their rate is so high. We came to the conclusion that the healthcare paid for by the government was a pull factor in people's decisions to move to Canada.

presentation and test review

     Today in class we finished the last of the presentations and went over the upcoming test Monday. Compared to the previous presentations they were much better and more interactive. In my opinion the students did a better job explaining making the projects not as boring. After the last presentation we transitioned into reviewing for the test Monday. When you explained the first portion of the test I was confused. I don't know why you would test us on if we can find information on a website, but I guess there is some point to it. The rest of the test seems pretty easy. The fill in the blank answers will be easy because we went over which definitions that we need to study. Not only are the definitions posted to your blog the power point used to teach is also posted so I have a lot to study from. With these study tools I believe that I will easily get a 100% on the test. The only parts of the test I could get wrong are the questions on the CIA world factbook and the essay...