Skip to main content

Hellenistic culture

     After the conquests of Asia and Africa by Alexander the Great the Greeks adopted a blended culture. This culture was known as Hellenistic. The common language was known as Koine. It was a blend of Greek and Persian languages. The greatest city of the Greek empire was known as Alexandria. It was a very rich city located in Egypt. Royal palaces were built and Alexander's tomb was located there. A large lighthouse called Pharos that reflected light from a fire. In Alexandria were two great sources of knowledge Alexander's library and museum. These were the greatest sources of knowledge in all of the ancient world and brought visitors from around Europe, Asia and Africa. The Hellenic empire also developed different studies of astronomy, mathematics and physics. The forerunner's of Hellenic math were Archimedes and Euclid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rise of Christianity

 Toady in class instead of reviewing the test we read and took notes on the next three sections. The first section was on the Rise of Christianity and talked about how Jesus' teachings spread. The most important reason they spread was because his teachings brought salvation to all. Christianity was a vision that a Roman emperor had before he went into battle. They won the battle and he made it so Christians would no longer be persecuted.

Test review

  Most of today in class was spent reviewing last weeks test from last week. Class was last mod today so everyone was more lethargic than usual. Since I was the only person to get a 100% on the test I really didn't need the review. The only plus side of reviewing was I had time to write the answers on the test so I could use it without my scan tron sheet. The rest of class time was spent taking notes on the population power point. We discussed immigration and emigration and why. We used the example of Canada and why people would want to immigrate there because their rate is so high. We came to the conclusion that the healthcare paid for by the government was a pull factor in people's decisions to move to Canada.

presentation and test review

     Today in class we finished the last of the presentations and went over the upcoming test Monday. Compared to the previous presentations they were much better and more interactive. In my opinion the students did a better job explaining making the projects not as boring. After the last presentation we transitioned into reviewing for the test Monday. When you explained the first portion of the test I was confused. I don't know why you would test us on if we can find information on a website, but I guess there is some point to it. The rest of the test seems pretty easy. The fill in the blank answers will be easy because we went over which definitions that we need to study. Not only are the definitions posted to your blog the power point used to teach is also posted so I have a lot to study from. With these study tools I believe that I will easily get a 100% on the test. The only parts of the test I could get wrong are the questions on the CIA world factbook and the essay...